Student Arrival and Departure
Students should arrive no earlier than 7:20 AM and must be in the door by 7:40 AM. Students will be considered tardy after 7:50 AM. Dismissal begins at 2:20 PM (Wed 1:20 PM).
Our most important job at Spring Lake Elementary is to provide a safe and secure environment for our students. For your child's safety we require all visitors to sign in at the front office using your driver's license or State ID card. This helps us to keep track of visitors on our campus. In order for us to make this effective everyone needs to abide by policy. Please make our job easier and remember to bring your driver's license or State ID when you come to school.
Medication - According to 230.22(1) Florida Statues, medication must NOT be transported to and from school by elementary school students. Parents must bring any medications prescribed or over the counter to the clinic and the necessary forms completed. It must be in the original container and must have the proper authorization from the physician. If any changes in time or dosage of medication, a new authorization form is required. For detailed information regarding student medication please call the clinic at 407-746-1606.
- When a student is absent from school, he/she must have written documentation stating the reason for the absence. If a parent calls, write info. on a phone conference form. If a note is written in the planner, have the front office make a copy. Teachers are responsible for keeping documentation.
- A student WILL BE EXCUSED from school, ONLY for the following:
·Illness (However, excessive illness of 10 or more days requires medical documentation)
·Observance of a religious holiday
·Law enforcement order or court subpoena
·Death of a family member
·Traffic accident that directly involved the student
·Extraordinary circumstances or situations, pre-arranged with Principal's permission
- It is imperative that the teachers check, verify, and make changes as needed to all attendance summary sheets submitted to the front office. These are legal documents and must be accurate for appropriate action and state audit.
- Absences due to HEAD LICE in excess of 3 school days will be considered UNEXCUSED absences. If a student misses more than 3 days due to head lice, the teacher will notify guidance and a nurse referral will be submitted.
- If an excuse note is not received by teacher and reported to front office, after 5 DAYS -OR- if the reason does not meet excused absence criteria, the absence will remain UNEXCUSED. The following procedures will take place when there are excessive unexcused absences:
- 3 UNEXCUSED ABSENCES , the teacher will contact the parent via phone call - use the phone conference form to document this contact.
- 6 UNEXCUSED ABSENCES guidance will mail home the Principal's Letter. The letter should be signed by the parent and sent back to school.
- 10 UNEXCUSED ABSENCES Attendance meeting will be scheduled through guidance.
- 15 UNEXCUSED ABSENCES Social work referral will be submitted.
- ALL UNEXCUSED ABSENCES WILL RESULT IN GRADES OF 0's FOR MISSED WORK.
- If a child is absent for 10 or more days due to illness or other excused absence the Guidance Counselor will send a letter home to the parents outlining the attendance policy. After 15 or more excused absences a nurse referral will be submitted.
- After 15 or more excused absences and with Principal authorization, a letter will be sent home requiring medical documentation for all subsequent absences. If medical documentation is not submitted for subsequent absences then they will be marked unexcused.
- Students should be in the classroom by 7:50 a.m. All students that arrive at 7:50 a.m. need to be checked in through the front office by their parent.
- Before 8:00 a.m., students will report to the classroom if late for school and the teacher will write a tardy slip. One copy of the tardy slip should be stapled in the child's planner and the second copy is for teacher records. This data should be saved and utilized to document children with excessive tardies (see #4 & #5 below).
- After 8:00 a.m. all students who are tardy will be sent to the front office and the front office staff will document the late arrival and notify the teacher. The teacher will write a tardy slip, staple one copy to the planner and keep the other copy for their records.
- A student who accumulates FIVE AND ONE-HALF (5 ½ hours or 330 minutes) of absence due to tardiness during the regular school day, without documented reason for EXCUSED ABSENCE , shall be deemed absent for one school day. The student will receive 0's for all work for one school day .
- The following procedures will take place when there are excessive unexcused tardies:
- 3 UNEXCUSED TARDIES the teacher must notify the parent by phone call or conference (documentation of contact should be in writing on conference form). Teacher MUST go through the attendance policy with the parent to let them know that after 6 tardies, "EXCESSIVE TARDIES" will be marked on progress report and report card AND a letter will be mailed home and placed in the child's file. After 15 unexcused tardies an after-school detention will be assigned. Also teacher must notify parent/guardian of 0's for unexcused absence/tardies.
- 6 UNEXCUSED Guidance will mail the Principal's Letter home. "EXCESSIVE TARDIES" will be marked on progress report and report card.
- 12 UNEXCUSED TARDIES the teacher must notify the parent by phone call or conference (documentation of contact should be in writing on conference form). Teacher MUST go through the attendance policy with the parent to let them know that after 15 unexcused tardies, after school detention will be assigned. Also the teacher must notify the parent that the student will receive 0's for all work missed due to unexcused tardies.
- 15 UNEXCUSED TARDIES an after school detention will be assigned.
- REPEAT THE PROCESS FOR ANY SUBSEQUENT TARDIES